Daniel Stammler is the CEO and Co-Founder of Kolibri Games which is a mobile games studio aspiring to be the most player-oriented games company in the world.
Kolibri Games was initially launched without external financing by a group of students. Could you tell us more about the company’s early days?
My Co-Founders and I initially met at university. We were all very eager to found a company and had already worked together in a student management consultancy and a number of startups. Although not entirely unsuccessful, those projects didn’t really scale according to our expectations – we managed to pull in a few hundred customers, but quickly realized that we weren’t going to be able to grow something really big out of those projects.
At that time, we were all playing mobile games and when we realized that one of our favorite games at that time, Supercell’s “Clash of Clans”, was making billions in annual revenues, we got motivated to try developing a game ourselves. From that point on, things happened really fast. We had this idea for a really complex game, started working on it and realized after six months that we were probably never going to finish it. We started all over and gave ourselves only eight weeks to develop a prototype to release on the market. That prototype – the very first version of Idle Miner Tycoon – proved to be successful and generated a few hundred to a few thousand downloads a day in the early stages.
Very soon we weren’t able to deal with the increasing amount of requests from players all by ourselves, so we started expanding our team by hiring first interns and later full-time employees, all while still working from our student apartment. Our living room was the office, we held meetings in the kitchen and had interviews in the bedroom.
Eventually, we realized that we were going to need a proper office to effectively improve and grow our game, so we moved into our first real office in Karlsruhe, which allowed us to scale our company even further.
Idle Miner Tycoon was a huge hit, what was the original inspiration behind this game?
When we developed our first game, we started playing mobile games extensively, trying to explore all the different genres and games that were out there. That way we also found out about the idle genre which, back then, was pretty much unexplored. Most of the games were rather complicated, nerdy, aimed at people who really like numbers – not at all easy to get into, yet we were hooked by the mechanics of these games.
After we had given up on our first game, we were looking for something new – a game that we could develop and bring on the market after only eight weeks of development. This is when we got the idea of making an idle game. We were convinced that this mechanic would be attractive to a broad audience, but no one had ever done it before. So we set out to build this incredibly accessible idle game, with simple and friendly 2D graphics, full of positive emotions where players can only ever win. That game is essentially the Idle Miner Tycoon that you know today.
For gamers who are not familiar with Idle Miner Tycoon, can you walk us through this game?
Idle Miner Tycoon is a mining simulation game. You start with a single mine with one mineshaft on the first continent. You hire managers to automate your workflow and start opening new mineshafts, digging deeper and deeper and extracting more resources. Soon, you have enough money to open a second mine, and a third and a fourth, and even to expand to other continents. Along the way, you learn about many ways to improve your production, for example through Super Managers with special abilities or through boosts or other items. As is typical for games in the idle genre, the game will continue to calculate your earnings even when you’re not playing. Your miners and managers will keep working even when your phone is in your pocket and you can collect and invest your hard-earned money when you return to the game. You can even play with your friends and help each other on your way of building your mining empire.
How many players to date have played Idle Miner Tycoon?
Idle Miner Tycoon has generated around 125 million global downloads to date. The game attracts around one million daily active users. Our biggest players base comes from the US., followed by Germany, but players are playing everywhere across the globe in the over 25 languages that our game is offered in.
Another popular game that Kolibri Games released was Idle Factory Tycoon. Could you describe this game and what makes it so exciting?
After our initial success with Idle Miner Tycoon, we knew that we were really good at making idle games that our players love. So for our second title, Idle Factory Tycoon, we repeated everything that went well with our first game and tried out some new things at the same time. The result is a game with a little more complexity, for players who are really enthusiastic about our first game or idle games in general, and want an additional level of depth. At the same time, it possesses all the features that made Idle Miner Tycoon awesome – a friendly and welcoming art style and exclusively positive emotions.
2018 is when the company which at the time was called Fluffy Furry Games officially rebranded to Kolibri Games. What was the reason and inspiration behind the name change?
Fluffy Fairy Games was an amazing name to found our company. It was quirky, friendly and had high recognition value, and at the same time underlined our efforts at making games for literally everyone. However, in 2018, we were at a point where our team had grown to a respectable size, we were generating respectable revenues and were market leader in the idle genre with Idle Miner Tycoon. It was time for a new name, one that better reflected our position as a serious contender in the mobile gaming industry – Kolibri Games does that perfectly. The name is an homage to our German heritage (Kolibri is the German word for hummingbird) and reflects our lean and agile work style.
In 2020 Kolibri Games was acquired to become a member of the Ubisoft family. How will this acquisition influence future development?
Being acquired by Ubisoft is one of our biggest successes to date, especially at an incredible valuation of 160 million Euros. We as founders and our team have given everything from day one to build a successful company. Now we are part of one of the largest and most successful games families in the world and are incredibly proud to contribute to their future success. We are now part of a rich network, full of expertise in all areas of game development, that we can profit from to benefit our own growth and the development of new games.
What is Kolibri Games currently working on?
As we have for the past four years, we are working on improving our games, shipping weekly updates based on player feedback. We strongly believe that Idle Miner Tycoon still has a lot of unused potential for us to unlock. Currently, in order to unlock that potential, we are making data a much bigger part of our decision-making process. We want to become even more player-centric by using insights into player behavior and preferences when making product decisions.
In addition, we are looking into new idle titles, exploring ways in which we can push the idle genre even further.
Is there anything else that you would like to share about Kolibri Games?
We’ve worked really hard these past four years and have managed to come a long way, but this is by far not the end of our story – there is a lot more waiting ahead! We’re always looking for passionate people to join us on our journey and to help us defend our position at the top of the idle genre. If you’re reading this and could imagine being part of our team, make sure to check out our open positions from time to time – we’d love to have you on board!
Thank you for the interview, readers who wish to learn more should visit Kolibri Games.
TFT: Teamfight Tatics patch 10.16 news
TeamFight Tactics (TFT) received patch 10.16 on Wednesday (5). The update brought some news and added a new galaxy that promises to impact the style of play. With that in mind, Gaming Net selected the strongest compositions for the updated TFT Set 3. Strong compositions have not undergone so many changes and some may appear as alternatives in this Teamfight Tatics patch 10.16.
TFT is an Auto Chess game from Riot Games. The title is available in a mobile version for download on Android and iPhone phones (iOS) and as a game mode in League of Legends (LoL) for PC.
Champions: Shen, Yasuo, Zed, Yi, Fizz, Irelia and Riven.
This composition appears as one of the best for some patches. The idea is to have many champions who can do damage, with Master Yi as the main one. Seeking to maximize the power of Shen, Yasuo, Zed and Yi, the strategy requires patience to reach greater potential.
- Start the game by focusing on champions who are master of blades and infiltrators, such as Nocturne, Fiora, Shen, Zed, Yasuo and Master Yi.
- Use the “Slow Roll” tactic on level 7. This strategy consists of accumulating money and spending the excess after reaching 50 gold until you reach Zed, Shen, Yasuo and Master Yi at the maximum level.
- The items needed to maximize the characters’ damage come from the recurve bow. Get at least three of them to ensure greater efficiency in Master Yi. Steaming Cannon, Rabadon’s Deathcap, Mercury and Guinsoo’s Blade of Fury are the best items for the champion.
- Zed is one of the best champions of this composition, but he needs to have the blade master feature activated. Focus on getting a spatula as soon as possible and, in the new patch, a GPC Sword to get the Destroyed King’s Sword.
- Remember to always place the three rebels together so that they gain the shield of the rebel feature, which was improved in this update.
- Riven, Ireilia and Fizz are strong champions in their own right. Riven comes in to provide the time characteristic buff for the entire team. Meanwhile, Fizz has a lot of group control and is an infiltrator, just like Zed. Irelia comes in as the sixth blade master for being a strong character.
Champions: Caitlyn, Nautilus, Ashe, Gnar, Jhin, Teemo, Wukong and Lulu / Karma.
In this Teamfight Tatics patch 10.16, Sniper champions do more damage from distance to opponents. Meanwhile, astronauts have reduced their mana cost to 30 when they are together. In addition, this is a composition with immense group control, has a resistant front line and causes enormous damage.
- Being a composition with two magazines with different damage, a physical and a magician, it is good to pay attention to the items at the beginning of the game. If you get Tears of the Goddess, Needlessly Large Rod and GPC Sword, you have a call to make this composition.
- Get Caitlyn two stars as soon as possible. As he is a strong champion at the beginning of the game, there is a chance to win some duels and maintain hit points.
- Always have two Vanguards on the field. The Mordekaiser can be useful for being a Black Star and activating the trait once you get Jhin.
- Reaching level 8 is essential as it contains four characters of cost 4, such as Jhin, Teemo, Gnar and Wukong. The chances of getting these champions increase from 15% to 25% from level 7 to 8.
- Positioning is paramount. Knowing where to place the characters on the platform to increase the damage done and the distribution of group control caused by Gnar, Ashe, Teemo and Nautilus is necessary. Place the Snipers at the ends. Watch out if the enemy has Blitzcrank or the Zephyr item.
- At level 9, having two Mystics can be very useful. To increase protection for Jhin, Karma and Lulu alongside him can be good champions. Karma is Black Star and Lulu is Celestial. Both will be activated because they already have Ashe and Jhin in the field.
Master of the Golden Blades
Champions: Fiora, Jarvan, Xayah, Rakan, Shen, Master Yi, Irelia and Riven.
The synergy achieved at the beginning of the game with three Blade Masters, two Temporal and the attack speed promoted by Jarvan’s skill, this composition presents a good start to the game. Seeking to activate the feature with six Blade Masters and a powerful frontline, this composition does a lot of damage.
- With a focus on achieving the greatest number of tier 1 three-star champions, adopt the “hyperroll” tactic, which consists of accumulating gold and spending it all one round before reaching level five. Search for Xayah, Fiora and Jarvan.
- Taken as the composition of the “three critics”, for requiring three Boxer Gloves, the items in the finals of Xayah are Last Whisper, Edge of Infinity and Mercury. With the best in Statikk Knife, it is an item that can be useful in the damage loader.
- Strengthen your Jarvan so that he stays longer and can give Xayah more attack speed. The positioning of the characters of the two characters, being close to each other, is essential.
- When you get the six Blade Masters, Riven is one of the most important for granting Temporal to the whole team, as you will already have Shen.
- Always keep in mind to change the composition if you don’t get the six Blade Masters, being able to use four Celestial, with Lulu and Ashe. In addition to exchanging Riven for Caitlyn.
Champions: Malphite, Ziggs, Blitzcrank, Yasuo, Ezreal, Yi, Jinx, Aurelion Sol and Gangplank.
With a focus on keeping Jinx alive, this composition seeks to have a good position and a front line capable of waiting for the activation of the champion’s ability. With Gangplank or Aurelion Sol as possible loaders, the comp has a good distribution between physical and magical damage. Blitzcrank and Ezreal will activate Temporal and Fighter, in addition to the first bringing the element of surprise to the team.
- If you start with items like the Red Effect, try to get characters like Lucian and Graves, as well as Malphite and Blitz. If you get a Rabadon Deathcap, an alternative is to drop it off at Ziggs in the beginning.
- The transition is made from the moment you get Jinx, but always keeping two detonators together.
- Your main loader is Jinx, make items like Giant Kills, Red Effect, Last Whisper, Infinity Edge and Mortal Blade to do more damage and Guardian Angel to protect yourself.
- Blitzcrank near Jinx can be useful. The champion’s ability is activated after she kills two enemies. With the initial pull of Blitz, Jinx can start distributing damage more quickly.
- Gangplank adds the Daredevil deal along with Ziggs. With the right items, the Space Pirate is able to deal a lot of damage and group control. Guardian Angel, Ionic Spark and Rabadon’s Deathcap are the items to survive to the point of using your ability.
- Position the rebels always together, with Jinx at the center. At the start of the fight, Rebels gain a shield for each adjacent rebel. The shield was buffed in the current patch.
Champions: Fiora, Leona, Shen, Vayne, Vi, Irelia, Ekko and Thresh.
With low cost champions such as Leona, Fiora and Lucian, the beginning of the Cybernetic game can be very strong. Along with the ease of finding champions, the feature gains life and attack damage when equipping only one item. With the possibility of a game start with detonators, passing through Snipers and ending with the help of Masters of Blades, the composition ends up being versatile. In the Treasure Chest galaxy, the composition gets even stronger in this Teamfight Tatics patch 10.16.
- The beginning of the Cybernetics game is very strong. Search for Leona, Fiora and Lucian. If you get many items, distribute them among the three, but focusing on the damage items on Lucian. He will be your loader at the start of the game. Red effect is a great item if you get another Detonator.
- After the addition of Vayne it was easier to get six Cybernetics, but don’t stick to that. Try as many synergies as possible, as your two carriers will be Irelia and Ekko and they will be slow to arrive.
- Vi always uses her skill on the champion furthest from her. Position it to reach a target that could be problematic for your team.
- Transition the team as soon as you get Irelia. If you have Shen or Riven, you will be able to activate Blademaster, making it stronger. In addition to these, Thresh is important to activate Manamante and Temporal.
- Positioning is key. Upon obtaining Ekko, he will jump on the enemy. Get a spot for him to hit the most powerful opponent. Irelia with active Manamante can also unbalance a round.
Valorant: 1.05 update with KillJoy and deathmatch mode
The Valorant Update 1.05 was released on Tuesday by Riot Games. From the already announced KillJoy, the new FPS agent, to the confirmation of rumors regarding the arrival of deathmatch mode. The developer released the patch notes with all the news of the new version. In addition to the new agent and a new way, there was a patent reset and Raze was nerfed. A new set of skins and a new Battle Pass will be added to the game as well.
KillJoy is added to the game
Main addition of Valorant Update 1.05, KillJoy is of German origin and is regarded as a prodigy in the use of gadgets and robots. With animations and skills already released by Riot Games even before the Update, KillJoy will be the game’s twelfth agent. The second added after the official launch of Valorant.
With a 100% technological kit, the agent arrives, in that first moment, much more as a defense agent than an attack agent. Check out the description of your skills below:
Alarm Robot: KillJoy launches a robot that chases enemies, similar to Rumba’s Bumba, and explodes when it reaches them. Affected enemies are temporarily vulnerable to double damage from all sources. That is, shots, falls or damage skills such as molotovs, grenades, shock arrows and the like.
Turret: KillJoy equips a turret that shoots enemies at an angle of 180º. The turret can be destroyed by enemies and removed by KillJoy by pressing the same button used to equip the machine.
Nanoenxame: KillJoy launches a silent grenade, which, when touching the ground, stops making sounds. When activated again by KillJoy, a swarm of nanorobots are sent to damage those on top of the gadget.
Confinement (X): KillJoy imprisons all enemies within range of the ultimate ability for about eight seconds. However, the gadget that causes the confinement can be destroyed by enemies.
Confirmation of deathmatch mode
An old request from the Valorant community, deathmatch mode was confirmed by Riot Games in the Update Notes for Act II. Common in all FPS games, the deathmatch mode on Valorant will start the testing phase and work as follows:
- FFA (Free For All), that is, all against all. No pre-defined teams.
- 10 players per game.
- Random agents.
- Abilities disabled.
- Weapons released and heavy vest equipped automatically.
- A kill automatically reloads your weapon and completely regenerates your health and armor.
- Whoever gets 30 kills first or who has the most kills after six minutes wins.
Ranked: patent reset and Act Rank
Along with the Update, Riot decided to reset all players’ patents. Now, players who already had rank in the previous version will need to play three games in Unrated mode to win their new rank. The company informed that the “new” link should not be so far from the old one. He also warned of the possibility of players falling “more or less 2 ranks below their rank in Act I”.
In addition, Riot has adopted a kind of “prize pool” for ranked players. The Act Ranks. A border added to the card of all players with a Valorant rank, similar to the borders of League of Legends. It refers to the nine best ranked wins that the player obtained and for his overall number of victories in Act I. As of the Update, each player’s starting history will also be available.
Raze has undergone some adjustments in Update 1.05. Figurine stamped in casual and ranked matches, the Brazilian once again received a nerf, this time in two of her abilities: Plague-killers and Charge of Explosives.
- Equip time increased: 1.1 to 1.4 seconds
- Fast equip time increased: 0.5 to 0.7 seconds
- Damage reduced: 75 to 50 damage
- The skill now deals 600 damage to objects consistently
Games on Steam: A Dark Journey
Games on Steam is a weekly installment that tackles the latest and greatest Indie games on this popular platform. Today, we talk about death, angry werewolves, one ambitious candle, and the problems of dating an android.
Aarog can be best described as a minimalistic adventure with puzzle elements. Set in a trippy black and white world, it’s a story about a man whose goal is to accept death through his dreams. As you can imagine, this is an intense experience. Aarog has beautiful hand-drawn visuals that really give it a unique charm. Although it’s a bit short, the game will transport you to a bizarre world that may stay with you for quite some time.
If you ever wanted to be an innkeeper, try Travellers Rest. This is an interesting life sim, which will challenge you to transform your tavern into a respectable social space. Aside from brewing beer and distilling spirits, you will also need to explore your world to find interesting new drinks and food. The tavern is fully customizable, and you will need to work quite a bit to make it entertaining. If you were into Stardew Valley, Travellers Rest might become one of your new favorite games on Steam.
Next, we have a multiplayer strategy that plays like a popular party game. Werewolves are hidden among the villagers and hunt them during the night, one by one. To survive, villagers gather around the fire to debate who is guilty. There are also unique roles like the hunter and the seer, which have special powers. In Agrou, communication is of vital importance, and you have to think carefully about how to defend yourself. Up to 12 players can join, which makes it a great casual Indie to play with your friends.
Synergia is an interesting yuri cyberpunk thriller/visual novel with a distinct dystopian artwork. You play as Cila, a pessimistic cop who is getting sick and tired of the world. One day, she gets a new android named M.A.R.A with which she begins to form a deep bond. However, not everything is as it seems … This is a story-driven experience that strongly develops 2 main characters while enveloping you in a sense of mystery. Atmospheric music fits really well with the cyberpunk theme, and even the background characters feel lively. So, if you are at all interested in Yuri or dystopian novels, Synergia is well worth your time.