Initially launching on Viveport, the award-winning 360-degree VR movie, Gloomy Eyes, will be coming to Oculus Quest and other PC VR platforms on Feb 14. Gloomy Eyes tells the story of a young zombie boy who ends up falling in love with a human girl. It is split into three-part episodic volumes.
The publisher ARTE were unable to confirm exactly which other PC VR platforms it will expand onto just yet (such as SteamVR), but said they will have more information ahead of the Feb 14 release.
A 360-degree video version will be available on the ARTE Cinema’s YouTube channel. While it is possible to watch the full experience there for free, you won’t have the benefit of 6DoF (Six Degrees of Freedom) that comes with VR headsets. The full VR experience will cost $14.99 on all platforms
Celebrity Collin Farell takes on the role of the Grave Keeper, narrating the VR diorama-esque experience. Released as part of HTC Vive’s Viveport Developer Stories series, a video shows Farrell playing his role in the Voice-Over booth and sharing his take on working on the experience.
“Because [it’s] a VR experience,” Farrell says, “they’ve been able to just keep it about the purity of the story in a way that sometimes in feature film gets compromised because of the scale, sometimes, of things or the amount of people involved.”
Gloomy Eyes was shown at a number of film festivals and events last year, including Annecy, South by Southwest, and Sundance Film Festival.
At the Raindance Immersive Award last year, hosted at the heart of London to celebrate the best of VR moviemaking and gaming, Gloomy Eyes won the award for Artistic Achievement and Audio Achievement.
The full list of winners at the Raindance Immersive Awards 2019 were:
- BEST IMMERSIVE GAME: The Curious Tale of The Stolen Pets
- BEST INTERACTIVE NARRATIVE EXPERIENCE: A Box In The Desert
- BEST CINEMATIC EXPERIENCE: Afterlife
- BEST DOCUMENTARY EXPERIENCE: Ayahuasca
- BEST ANIMATED EXPERIENCE: Battlescar
- ARTISTIC ACHIEVEMENT: Gloomy Eyes
- BRITISH AWARD: BEST UK EXPERIENCE: Glimpse
- DISCOVERY AWARD: BEST DEBUT EXPERIENCE: Afterlife
- SPIRIT OF RAINDANCE: BEST IMMERSIVE EXPERIENCE OF THE FESTIVAL: Cosmos Within Us