Impulse Gear, the studio behind the 2017 VR Shooter, Farpoint, has announced their latest VR project. Ever since the release of Farpoint, the developers have been pretty active with the post-launch updates for the game. But there has been little word of what the studio has been working on. More than three and a half years after launching Farpoint, Impulse Gear has stated that they are working on a new Hero-Shooter, Larcenauts, for VR.
Announced on an Oculus blog post, the game will be a fast-paced PvP shooter where two teams of six will go head-to-head in a variety of modes with a wide set of skills and weapons. Impulse Gear says game modes include a territories-based capture mode, capture the flag, and classic team deathmatch. Each of the game’s characters feature what the studio calls a unique ‘Quick Skill’ and ‘Deployed Item’. The game is also said to include the ability to develop skills through something called a ‘Power Slate’, and also offer customizable weapons loadouts and skins.
Impulse Gear has also stated that the game will have 8 playable characters ‘with larger-than-life personalities’ available at launch:
- Evander (Hunter) – Sharpshooter specializing in long-range combat.
- Calima (Infiltrator) – A high-speed infiltrator equipped with reality-bending quantum technology.
- Chi (Medic) – A powerful medic shrouded in mystery.
- Salters (Grenadier) – A galactic space miner with an affinity for high explosives.
- Thal (Guardian) – An adorable robot built to defend and suppress.
- Bosun (Engineer) – Chief engineer and skilled cook.
- Vod (Brawler) – A giant sentient mushroom specializing in hand-to-hand combat.
- ARC-L6 (Commando) – A skilled combat droid armed with devastating plasma tech.
Larcenauts is expected to launch later in the summer of this year for Oculus Quest, Oculus Rift, and SteamVR with the support of cross-buy and cross-platform enabled. The studio had teased the release of Larcenauts earlier this year with a blog post that showed two clues, a shiny L logo, and inks to a ‘Decrypted Message’ audio file.